At-home nail manicures are a crucial part of many women’s nail care routines. Having perfectly manicured nails is an incredible feeling, but you first need to know how to prep nails properly. We always recommend natural nail prep to promote strong, gorgeous nails.
In this article, we’ll review how to prep nails for polish. With these nail care hacks, you’ll be admiring your stunning natural nail manicure in no time!
At-Home Manicures: Step by Step
- First and foremost, you’ll need to remove any existing nail polish. When people wonder how to prep nails for polish, this is the first step that we mention. Lay your hands on a flat surface over a towel or other protective material. Then, for a natural nail prep, apply an acetone-free nail polish remover to your nails.
- Then, trim and file your nails to the desired shape. You may choose any variety of rounded or square shapes for your nails, then file them so that they’re even. We suggest using the 15-in-1 Nail Clippers Manicure Pedicure Set to complete this step in how to prep nails for polish. With 15 unique functions in a convenient single set, these stainless steel clippers will make your at-home nail manicure a breeze.
- Apply a lotion or cream to moisturize your hands, then push back your cuticles to allow for an even coat of polish.
- Apply a polish base coat. This protects the health of your nails by locking in moisture. It will also make your natural nail manicure last longer and keep dried polish from chipping.
- Apply a coat of your colored nail polish. Aim for an even coat from cuticle to tip, and don’t forget about the side edges of your nails. Then, once the first coat has fully dried, apply a second coat.
- Apply a clear, protective topcoat. Then, give the polish ample time to dry, and enjoy!
Nail Care Tips
If you use a LED light to set gel nail polish, make sure to apply sunscreen to the area exposed to the LED light. Rays from an LED light can be drying and make your skin more sensitive to the sun. For the sake of your skincare routine, always apply sunscreen 10 to 15 minutes before sun exposure.
- Pro Tip: We love using the UV LED Manicure Gel Nails Lamps from HailiCare. Not only is it affordable for at-home use, but it also has flexible drying options with two set time options. Combined with an auto-sensing function that knows when your hands are ready for the light, this LED nail lamp is a top option for at-home nail manicures.
- Never use your hands to remove nail polish. It can damage and weaken your nails, making it more difficult to achieve a perfect nail manicure in the future. Instead, use a sapwood stick or other professional nail care polish removing product to safely remove nail polish.
- Do your best not to cut your cuticles when you push them back. Our cuticles work to keep our nails healthy and strong by keeping bacteria out, so we want to keep them intact.
- When applying your colored nail polish, aim to apply a thick, even coat the first time. This will make your second coat far faster and easier to apply so that your natural nail manicure is done in a snap!
When it comes to how to prep nails for a natural nail manicure, this article has all the information that you need. So, during your next self-care session, give yourself a lovely at-home nail manicure. With healthy, beautiful nails, you can take on the world!